Sunday, June 29, 2014

Day Twelve

I killed someone today.

I…

At least I think I did. I’m not 100% sure.

I went down to the strip in the hopes of finding whomever it was I saw yesterday. I went back to the Mirage and I found them. In the same room, standing on the far side of the gambling hall from where I entered, they were once again lurking in the shadows.

This time when I called they did not run. They stood there, looking back at me.

I started walking over, continuing to talk. I kept my voice calm, telling them how great it was to find someone else who had survived. When I got about half way, whatever it was screamed. A blood-curdling screech that did not sound human. A shout filled with malice and hate. Whatever it was, it launched itself into the air, leaping several tables with a single jump. When it landed, it screamed again and charged at me.

The shadows follow it, keeping it wrapped in a hidden shroud even as it raced toward me. It was as if the very light was terrified. I fumbled for my pistol. The thing was only about ten feet away when I fired. My first shot stopped it. My next three dropped it to the ground.

I stared at it laying not ten feet from me. Though even standing that close, I could not tell you what it was. I have no idea how long I stood there, but I couldn’t bring myself to approach it.

That’s when the feeling fell over me. A feeling of… panic? I don’t know. I didn’t hear anything as such… it was more that I knew I was being watched. Studied. And I realized that if I didn’t get out of there right then, I never would.
 
So I left. Or, it would be more apt to say, I ran. Like the Devil himself was chasing me, I hauled ass. And perhaps he was, I never looked back to see.

No comments:

Post a Comment